The Rise of The Fallen
The Blackfire Crusade
|Enough! Urged by necessity I, Miranda DuParis, by the grace of our most holy Lady In White, do hereby declare these willful and unrepentant monsters anathema! We beseech you to persuade all people of whatever rank, foot soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid to those beset by these villains and to cut our the dark root of this sin. Those of you who take up arms in the Great Church’s name shall be blessed with an immediate remission of all sins past. This I grant them through the power of the Gods with which I am invested. Let those who for a long time, have been robbers, now become knights. Let those who have been fighting against their brothers and relatives now fight in a proper way against the necromancers. Let those who have been serving as mercenaries for small pay now obtain the eternal reward. Let those who have been wearing themselves out in both body and soul now work for a double honor.
By the will of the gods, go forth and cloak yourselves in glory!
Go forth! Go forth!
The Blackfire Crusade was a military campaign sanctioned by The Great Church in 199 ACW (1843 KR) to purge the Notre Dame area of necromancers, the cult of Those Who Hear, and the great dragon Blackfire. The stated goal of the campaign was to locate Blackfire’s lair and destroy the great dragon, uncover the hidden academy of Mournhollow, and turn the populace away from The Song of Stars, which had been growing more powerful in the region. Many outside observers expressed skepticism about the motives of The Exalt Miranda DuParis, who was dealing with pressure from The College of Cardinals to step down given her advanced age. With the arrival of Blackfire expected in 2 months, many were skeptical that much could be done about the threat.
Sequence of Events:
- Blackfire, The Dragon of Notre Dame, attacks the city every seven years on the 8th day of Summerend. The attacks start in 150 ACW. 199 ACW is to be the dragon’s 7th attack. The dragon was thought slain in 178 ACW by the hero Zifer Cwellen, but she reappeared seven years later, now an undead Dracolich. Zifer Cwellen was last seen attempting to slay her a second time, and is presumed dead.
- In Her Eminence Miranda DuParis, the Exalt of The Great Church of the Nine Heroes, issues a bull declaring the dragon Blackfire, the necromancers of Mournhollow, and the cultists of The Song of stars enemies of the Great Chruch and exhorting the fiathful to rise up against them. A number of local adventurers gather together under the banner of the Blackfire Crusade and, with church sanction, begin the task of gathering power to defeat their foes.
- Xander Montaire, a disowned noble son and necromancer, attacks The Holy Seat with a small army of exploding zombies. He is captured, but leaves many dead in his wake.
- The Crusaders foil a plot by The Hexblades to sabotage the sewers of the city. They learn that the Hexblades were hired by the Sons of Yorick.
- The Crusaders score a major victory by defeating The Lord of Dust, a necromancer posing as a faith healer in the slums of the city. They capture the Necronomicon, one of three powerful artifacts the necromancers have inside the city. However, this move garners some ill-will from the lower classes, as they had regarded The Lord of Dust as a beloved healer.
- The Crusaders foil a second Sons of Yorick plot, this time aimed at rescuing necromancers already captured by the Crusade. The executions continue as planned, and the Crusaders are awarded metals by the high Sheriff for their efforts.