The Rise of The Fallen
The Bleak Academy of Mournhollow
The Bleak Academy of Mournhollow is a secret college of necromancers who despise the gods and wish to destroy them.
- Belief: The Bleak Academy believes that the gods are not worthy of worship because they were once mortals, and that anyone could become divine if they knew the right process.
- Goal 1: Spread the study of Necromancy, which could allow people the power to rise up and challenge the gods.
- Goal 2: Subvert and undermine people’s faith in the gods through acts of vile darkness so terrible they force people to question why the gods would allow such things to happen.
- Goal 3: Keep the Academy hidden from those who would destroy it.
- Rituals: Harsh initiation, during which potential applicants are brought to the secret entrance of Mournhollow. Only one of the applicants will be allowed in, which leads to a lot of backstabbing along the way. To graduate from the academy, those who are almost ready are sent out into the world to discover something that will add to Mournhollow’s body of knowledge, usually coupled with some base and vile misdeed (Gerard LeVaine, for instance, unleashed a plague on Abbeville just to see if the cure he’d come up with the disease actually worked, as well as to goad Donello Montaire into continuing his research into immortality).