The Rise of The Fallen
The Ten-Minute Background of Avaleron
1) The ancient empire of Aeris was destroyed during The Grim Harvest, much of its population slaughtered by the Dark Reaper during a single, horrible day. For centuries, the lands that once made up Aeris remained fractured. Eventually, a fudealisitc state of independent Faerie Lords began to form, as the independent Demesnes formed mutual defense pacts. These Faerie Lords formed The Court of Stars, a ruling body that mediated disputes between the willful (and sometimes insane) lords. An Imperator was appointed to oversee this court.
2) As more and more Faerie Demesnes joined the Court of Stars, disputes and minor wars grew increasingly common. The Court was given more and more power to intercede in the independent State affairs, and the Imperator, as the highest office, was granted broader and more far-reaching powers. The Court pooled the talents of various hunter units from their fiefdoms, forming a standing army known as The Wild Hunt.
3)For over 1800 years, the Court of Stars and the Imperator ruled over the scattered domains of the Faerie Lords, becoming a true central governing body. The empire flourished, though there were problems with corruption and partisanship in the court of Stars, whose members worked for the good of their home demesnes over the good of the empire as a whole.
4) Then the Zargoni Conspiracy, a cabal of warlocks dedicated to the dark god Lucius Vecna, used the fractious of the Court to their advantage. They masterminded a plot to replace key figures at court with Changelings, then used their moles to gain greater influence. Then they opened several massive gates to The Shadowed Hell, the only one of the Seven Hells to be left empty and ignored by the gods. A vast army of devils had assembled there in secret under Vecna’s command, and were unleashed on The Three Worlds
5) Over the course of a century the Army of Darkness systematically crushed the Empire of Avaleron, enslaving the fey population and preparing for their next invasion, this time heading through smaller gates into The World. The Zargoni Conspiracy were left in charge of the shattered eladrin lands while the devils warred in the human world. An alliance of wizards, including the resurrected emperor Nyroni Goldenbow, attacked the Zargoni and conquered them, then destroyed the rifts to The Shadowed Hell. With no more reinforcements and a war on two fronts, The Army of Darkness crumbled.
6) The emperor reestablished the Empire, though he changed the fundamental workings of it to grant himself absolute power in the process. He then began the task of hunting down and destroying the remnants of the Army of Darkness and the Zargoni Conspiracy, while rebuilding the empire and reclaiming lost lands. Today, though it is smaller than it once was, the Empire of Avaleron is more unified than it has ever been, and is poised to return to prominence once more. Never mind the loss of freedoms once enjoyed, or the purging of “undesirable races”, or the secret police that watches the citizens for any signs of disloyalty to the Imperial crown…