The Rise of The Fallen
The Ages of Legend
Erithor’s history can be loosely divided into several Ages, which are marked by momentous changes in the cosmology of the world and how active the Gods are in mortal affairs. Each age has ended with a cataclysmic war among the gods. The Ages of Legend are:
- The Age of Creation—The first epoch of creation, when The Nameless One shattered the void, formed creation, and created the first generation of gods. Resulted in The Howling Storm, The Astral Sea, The Ten Thousand Wonders, The Perfect World, and the Rivers of Time and Life.
- The First War—The war between the Demons created by The Primordial and The Heavenly Host of The Seven Creators and The Elemental Titans. Cracked The Crystal Sphere, allowing The Far Realm to seep in and poison some of the Ten Thousand Wonders, creating Stars of Ill Omen. Also resulted in the creation of The Seven Hells and The Abyss.
- The Age of Wonders—The age during which the Seven Creators made The Mortal Races and ruled over them. Benevolent at first, the Seven gradually became tainted by their flaws and petty squabbles and grew petty and cruel.
- The Elemental War—The rebellion by The Elemental Titans and a portion of The Heavenly Host against The Seven. The war shattered The Perfect World into The Three Worlds, causing The Nameless One to leave his creation in disgust. Won by The Seven, who became The Seven Devil Lords and imprisoned the Titans in the Howling Storm.
- The Age of Darkness—The age of tyrannical rule by the now thoroughly corrupted Seven Devil Lords, marked by constant strife between them as they warred among themselves and turned their cruelty on their creations. During this time the Seven Hells became prisons for those who displeased the Seven, and the rest were consigned to The Shadowfell for eternity instead of released to The River of Time.
- The March of The Nine—Rebellion by the mortal races against thee Gods. Nine members of the Mortal Races gained the power of Gods and opposed the Seven, eventually capturing most of them and locking them in The Seven Hells (one was apparently killed, and one joined The Nine in return for amnesty). This was marked by The Harrowing of The Hells, releasing all the mortal souls trapped there and returning them to the River of Time once more.
- The Age of Heroes—Age where the Nine Heroes reveled in their new divine power, wandering the three worlds, having grand adventures, manipulating mortals for their pleasure, and elevating new gods from the most interesting mortals among them. During this age, The Elemental Titans were freed from The Howling Storm and restored to their rightful place.
- The Godswar—The civil war of the newborn gods. Resulted in many divine casualties and massive destruction. Ended with the signing of The Compact limiting divine intervention and the division of the Three Worlds among the Pantheons. The Heavenly Palace is created.
- The Age of Empires—The cold war of the Gods, as they sought influence and power among each other by raising up mighty empires and exalting Exarchs to act in their name and provide them with worship. During this time The Seven also exalted Exarchs, and stole souls away from the cycle of reincarnation into The Seven Hells for those who served them. Lucius Vecna, the Usurper, stole The Patient One’s powers and became a god during this age.
- The Grim Harvest—The Raven Lord, in a bid to control divine worship by creating an Exarch powerful enough to slaughter all the other Exarchs in the Three Worlds, creates The Dark Reaper, who escapes his control and runs amok. The Dark Reaper is actually the reincarnation of The Keeper, the only one of the Seven Devils slain during the March of the Nine. Almost all the Exarchs, and several full gods, are killed before the Dark Reaper is banished to The Frozen Hell.
- The Age of Mortals—The gods have retreated almost fully from the Three Worlds, acting only through their mortal churches. Empires rise and fall, trying to emulate the glories of the past through mortal labor alone. Dark things from The Far Realm and increased incursions from The Abyss and The Seven Hells lead some to believe that the gods have abandoned them.
- The Rise of The Fallen—Prophesied time when The Seven will finally break the seals that hold the Seven Hells closed and make war against all Creation, destroying it and rebuilding it to suit their fancy. Considered the end of the Three Worlds, though the outcome is uncertain.